Toronto, Ontario 1905-1917

Tom returned to Canada in 1905, moved to Toronto and found work in the photo engraving business. In 1908, he joined The Grip Limited, where he would meet future members of the Group of Seven. His good fortune in finding colleagues who were committed painters, passionate to experiment with new painting styles, was augmented when a patron in the form of Dr. James MacCallum discovered him.  Tom was encouraged to leave commercial work and go north to paint by the doctor who paid for his expensive supplies. When he returned to the city in the cold winter months, Tom worked from his small sketches to paint the large colourful canvasses that mark his career. 

Javascript is required to view this map.
Oil on Wood 23 x 31 cm Oil on Canvas 44.60 X 44.60 cm Oil on Wood 55 x 30.5 x 28 cm Oil Canvas 31.1 x 113.0 cm Oil on Canvas 27.9 x 43.2 cm
Necropolis cemetery

Believed to be where Thomson found the view for his 1916 canvass, 'Early Snow'. This spot was a few minutes walk down the Rosedale Valley Road from The Shack, Thomson's winter studio. The late afternoon sun falls on a snowy hillside across the Don River Valley.

McConkey's Restaurant 27 King Street West

Tom took his sister Minnie out for tea in 1907.

1913 Ontario Society of Artists Exhibition

Northern Lake sells for $250. Art Museum of Toronto, Public Library Building.

    The Shack, 1915-17

    Lawren Harris and Dr. MacCallum fixed up the shack behind the Studio Building, that had been a cabinet maker's shop.

    The Shack, 1915-17

    Lawren Harris and Dr. MacCallum fixed up the shack behind the Studio Building, that had been a cabinet maker's shop.

    The Studio Building, 25 Severn Street

    The Studio Building, conceived and financed by Lawren Harris and Dr. James MacCallum, opened only to artist tenants in January 1914. Thomson and AY Jackson moved into Studio 1 on the ground floor while carpenters were putting the finishing touches on the floors above.

    The Studio Building, 25 Severn Street

    The Studio Building, conceived and financed by Lawren Harris and Dr. James MacCallum, opened only to artist tenants in January 1914. Thomson and AY Jackson moved into Studio 1 on the ground floor while carpenters were putting the finishing touches on the floors above.

    66 Wellesley Street East

    lived with Frank Gavin, bartender with CPR<div>see Carmichael's visit

      119 Summerhill Avenue

      Lived here in 1912 with William Broadhead and Arthur Lismer, both from Sheffield

        54 Alexander Street

        Lived here in 1912 with Noah Luke.

          99 Gerrard Street

          Tom lived here in 1908 and 1909. Ester Plewes, landlady. Fellow boarders Edgar Burke, engineer with CPR, John McRuer, medical student at U of T. Tom is said to have been best man at both their weddings.

            #34 and #36 Elm Street

            After Thomson moved back to Toronto, he lived in a string of boarding houses. In 1906, his address was 34 Elm. In 1907 he moved next door to 36 Elm.

              Rous and Mann, 72 York Street

              Tom followed Albert Robson, along with several colleagues. Took leave after selling Northern Lake.

                The Grip Printing & Publishing Limited

                Thomson worked at The Grip between 1909-1912, along with J.E.H. Macdonald and Arthur Lismer.

                The Grip Printing & Publishing Limited

                Thomson worked at The Grip between 1909-1912, along with J.E.H. Macdonald and Arthur Lismer.

                The Grip Printing & Publishing Limited

                Thomson worked at The Grip between 1909-1912, along with J.E.H. Macdonald and Arthur Lismer.

                Legg Brothers, 5 Jordan Street
                Legg Brothers, 5 Jordan Street